The Brighouse and Rastrick Band
The Brighouse and Rastrick Band is regarded by many as the best and most consistent ‘public subscription band’ in the world.
In its time the majority of premier band championships have been held by ‘Briggus’, most recently becoming British Open Champions in 2022, whilst the band has also attracted a formidable reputation for highly entertaining concerts for both the general public and brass band connoisseur.
The ever popular Brighouse and Rastrick Band caught the ears and imagination of the British public with their recording of The Floral Dance holding the No.2 position in the British singles chart for nine weeks and achieving sales of over a million, earning both Gold and Silver discs. For the unveiling of Victoria Wood’s statue in 2019, they performed a new arrangement of Victoria’s The Ballad of Barry and Freda (otherwise known as Let’s Do It!).
Over recent years the band has been engaged in a number of very successful music collaborations, outside the brass band tradition, including Kate Rusby, BBC Radio 2 Folk award winners The Unthanks and classical actor Simon Callow.
The programme for this concert will be:
- Strauss (arr. P Ryan) Radetzky March
- Barry / Norman (arr. Richards) The James Bond Collection: James Bond (main theme); Goldfinger; The Spy Who Loved Me; From Russia With Love; On Her Majesty’s Secret Service
- Pryor (arr. Wilkinson) Fantastic Polka (Trombone Soloist: Ellena Newton)
- Kamen (arr. Velde) Film music: Band of Brothers
- Rodney-Bennett (arr. Snell) Waltz from Murder on the Orient Express
- Höhne (arr. Kerwin) Slavische Fantasie (Baritone Horn Soloist: Mick Morris)
- Sherwin (arr. Hall) Nightingale Dances
- Piazzolla (arr. McElligott) Tango – The Art of Seduction: Prelude, Viva Piazzolla!; Street Tango; Oblivion; Adios Nonino; Libertango
- Elgar (arr. Ord Hume) Pomp & Circumstance No.1
- Parry (arr. Elgar) Jerusalem
- Wood (arr. McElligott) Highlights from Fantasia on British Sea Songs